[CT Birds] Bstn hlw,/Yale Forest, Ashford/Union,10-1-17; Kinglets, 28 sp

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Oct 1 17:26:17 EDT 2017

Spent a nice  day in the Yale Forest, more time than usual  and places I
seldom visit, including Ashford/Union Turnpike and the Yale Forest  Camp road.
Obvious fall-out of GC Kinglets, plus a couple of Ruby-Crowned. Also,  lots
of Yellow-rumps, many still singing. Woodpeckers very active today, more
than in a long time. Still a lot of YB Sapsuckers, but all  juvenile.
Saw a sparrow I couldn't ID. Terribly backlit so I couldn't see  much
detail. See description in Ebird report, and if you have any ideas, let me  know.
Oct 1, 2017 8:00 AM  - 3:40 PM
Protocol: Traveling
14.0 mile(s)
Comments:      I covered considerably more ground than usual today, some of
it places that I  seldom bird. But it was productive with more birds and a
few extra  species.
28 species (+1 other taxa)

Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey  Vulture  1
Mourning Dove  2
Belted Kingfisher  1   At the Barlow Mill Rd millponds. I seem to find one
there in the  same spot 1 day every year. Adult female.
Red-bellied Woodpecker   7     Many seen and calling. Very active today, as
were all the  woodpeckers
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  4     All seen, all  juveniles
Downy Woodpecker  7
Hairy Woodpecker  6
Pileated  Woodpecker  4
Eastern Phoebe  9     most seen but  some still calling
Blue-headed Vireo  4     all seen, 2  still singing
Blue Jay  30
American Crow  3
Common  Raven  1
Black-capped Chickadee  35
Tufted Titmouse   25
White-breasted Nuthatch  5
House Wren  1
Golden-crowned  Kinglet  15     Obviously a fall-out of them. 15 actually
seen but probably 50 or more in the areas I found them. I could hear them
all  around me. Probably hundreds or thousands in the forest.
Ruby-crowned  Kinglet  2     Apparently feeding on seeds from some gone-by
swamp plants. In association with several Yellow-rumped Warblers
Gray  Catbird  1
Black-and-white Warbler  1     Adult  male. Surprising to me they are still
Pine Warbler   1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  20     Probably more. Many  singing, making the fall
warbler problem moot. Many of them also  seen.
Black-throated Green Warbler  1     Minus the black  throat, of course, in
fall plumage
Eastern Towhee  2
sparrow  sp.  1     Largish Sparrow, with high crown on head like
Savannah, but lacking striping on breast or bright white/yellow eyelines that I
could see. Apparent indistinct blotch on gray breast. Dark back but apparent
reddish tail that was the only feature i could see in sunlight. In swampy
area  next to stream.
Northern Cardinal  1
American Goldfinch   7

View this checklist online at