[CT Birds] Bstn Hlw/Yale Forest, Ashford/Union, Fri. 10-6-17 Woodcock, Ovenbird

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Oct 8 17:14:27 EDT 2017

Can't resist going back to the area because I'm still finding  birds. This
week an Ovenbird, which I hadn't seen or heard in a long time, an  Am.
Woodcock and 2 Hermit Thrushes. I never saw a Woodcock in the Forest before  this
year, and this was my 4th sighting, 3rd in the same area so possibly the
same bird. The Ovenbird was in the same place as the Woodcock, but only flew
over to a branch and then let me take his picture. I had no idea there were
any  still around.
I also had an Empid which I'm calling a Least Flycatcher. It  was in the
same spot where there was a (presumably) nesting pair, and appeared  quite
small, with only one wing bar showing clearly when it perched. I see them  a
lot in the spring and although obviously not singing now I'm pretty sure
about this one.
Oct 6, 2017 8:00 AM  - 2:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
15.0 mile(s)
32 species

Turkey  Vulture  1
American Woodcock  1     Flushed when I  walked down an old road and flew
off twittering loudly. There was an Ovenbird  with it, which surprised me
even more.
Mourning Dove  3
Red-bellied  Woodpecker  8
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Downy Woodpecker   6
Hairy Woodpecker  9
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Least  Flycatcher  1     In same location where there was a pair  all
summer and presumably nested. Well seen - fluttered up and landed on a wire
right in front of my car as I sat in it.
Blue-headed Vireo  6
Blue  Jay  40
American Crow  7
Black-capped Chickadee   30
Tufted Titmouse  30
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1   1st one in  a long time. same area as I always
find  them
White-breasted Nuthatch  6
Brown Creeper  1
House  Wren  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet   12     Probably a fallout just like there was of
GCKinglets a  week ago
Hermit Thrush  2
American Robin  3
Gray  Catbird  1
Cedar Waxwing  2
Ovenbird  1      A real surprise. Haven't seen or heard one in well over a
month, but it flushed  when I was walking down an old road and sat on a
branch and looked at me. An Am  Woodcock flushed from the same spot.
Black-and-white Warbler   1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  5
Chipping Sparrow  2
Savannah  Sparrow  2