[CT Birds] Geese galore

Jim Pfeifer Jim.Pfeifer at erm.com
Wed Oct 25 15:37:56 EDT 2017

Spent 1.5 hrs up on the cut corn fields off of Durkee Road in Somers this afternoon.  I estimate there were 2,200 geese in the fields, in three main flocks.  I have not relocated the possible pink-footed goose I saw a week ago, but I did ID 3 cackling geese, and one Canada with a speckled white and black head (looked like it was splattered with white paint).  Also had the resident 1st year Northern Harrier, two Coopers Hawks, and one Kestrel (seen on a rock feeding on a mouse/vole).  Savanah and Song Sparrows everywhere along the margins, with at least 15 white-throated and two Junco.....

James L. Pfeifer, LEP
Principal Consultant
Environmental Resources Management
99 East River Dr., 3rd Floor