[CT Birds] Squirrel Problem. Any solutions?

Jerry Connolly birdshop at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 30 08:07:33 EDT 2017

There are commercial nuisance animal sprays available, but I would be concerned about the unpleasant scent on your nice furniture.

Below are a couple of home made solutions. I simply searched for home made squirrel repellent, and up came some ideas....

One is dry, and you spread it around the perimeter of your furniture, or where you do not want squirrels to tread.
The second is wet, and I would spray it only on the legs (only) of the furniture to discourage climbing. Over the winter, if you leave your furniture out, it would rinse away.

Dry: From your spice rack, gather paprika, cayenne pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Sprinkle a mixture of these spices where you don’t want squirrels to dig or tread.

Wet: Fill a pot with 1 1/2 quarts of water, and bring it to a boil over the stove before adding 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, two chopped onions, and a single chopped jalapeño. Allow this mixture to boil for about 30 minutes, and then remove it from the heat. Let the mixture cool, strain everything out, and pour the remains into a spray bottle using a funnel. When spraying, do not let this irritant get in your face!

Note: A spicy infusion does not irritate birds because they lack the same taste buds to actually transmit signals of heat. However, it will irritate dogs (and their owners).

Good luck,
Janet Connolly

 <(`)
    ( >)~