[CT Birds] Stratford and Milford Highlights

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Thu Nov 16 20:10:29 EST 2017

We had a nice day visiting birding spots in Stratford and Milford today.
The highlights were:  the continuing two hen KING EIDER  at Long Beach in
Stratford. Other notable birds at that location included: White-winged
Scoter, Ruddy Turnstone, Horned Lark, and Snow Bunting.  We saw the
beautiful drake HARLEQUIN DUCK in close to shore at Stratford Point. Also
observed there were: Northern Gannet, Horned Grebe, Tree Swallows, and a
great number of Laughing Gulls feeding out in the sound.  At Milford Point,
we saw an immature Black-crowned Night-heron, American Oystercatcher,
Black-bellied Plover, and Greater Yellowlegs.  Lastly, at Walnut Beach in
Milford, we found the continuing GLAUCOUS GULL feeding with other gulls
along the shore.  November is certainly a great month for birding!!

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,

Woodbridge