[CT Birds] Snowy Owl Hit By Car

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 21 09:01:57 EST 2017

Morris,
Thank you for your report. It is very unfortunate that the Snowy Owl, a visiting predator from the far north, and enjoyed by so many, met this fate. We'll await hearing an update from the veterinarian.
Readers may recall that the rare Corn Crake on Long Island recently was found dead along a coastal highway.
These events prompt me to offer some articles about bird mortality from vehicles.

A USA Today article (May 29, 2014) reports a study that 89-340 million birds per year die from vehicle strikes in the USA. Barn Owls are particularly prone to this fate.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/05/29/bird-deaths-car-crashes/9623931/

David Sibley has a summary of causes for mortality in birds; the top five are building/window collisions, predation by feral cats, high tension wires, pesticides, and vehicle strikes:
http://www.sibleyguides.com/conservation/causes-of-bird-mortality/

Frank Mantlik
Stratford

Sent from my iPad