[CT Birds] 2 hawk day in Orange backyard

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 14:02:56 EST 2017

11/21 , Orange backyard.   In morning a huge Red tailed hawk swooped in and
perched in a tree near my feeders.  The rowdy gang of 9 blue jays were loud
in their warning and the hawk left shortly after it arrived.
Later this afternoon, I heard the Blue Jays again, screeching, and looked
around.  Under my feeders was a Cooper's hawk with what assume was a
Mourning dove in its claws and it flew off with it.  Lots of feathers under
the feeder.  I enjoy watching the birds, but wish the hawks would hunt
somewhere else.
Other visitors include, Hairy woodpecker, 2 Red bellied woodpeckers, 2
Downies, 2 Titmice, 2 Chickadees,
a Carolina Wren, 2-3 Cardinals, 9 Blue Jays, 8 Juncos, 2 White throated
sparrows, 2 White breasted nuthatches, lots of House sparrows, 3 House
finches, 2 Goldfinches, 8 Mourning doves.
Bev Propen, Orange