[CT Birds] Extralimital: TOWNSEND'S WARBLER in Rhode Island 11/24

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 25 11:32:24 EST 2017

Update: TOWNSEND'S WARBLER retraction. This just in from the RI birding network:

11/25 From Robert Askins:

I need to retract the identification of a Townsend's Warbler.  I've looked at more detailed references and first-year Blackburnian Warbler males may have more extensive bright yellow on the lower underparts than I thought.  I didn't look for  the definitive but subtle characteristics that would separate it from a Townsend's Warbler (the slightly different shape of the auricular patch, presence of light stripes on the back, and pale lower mandible).   I apologize for the false alarm.

Sent from my iPad