[CT Birds] Merlin Pleasant Valley Lyme

David Provencher provedf at comcast.net
Sat Nov 25 19:08:13 EST 2017

Mary Gardner and I hiked in the Pleasant Valley Preserve today and had a
flyover Merlin headed east to west. A couple of good sized roving flocks of
passerines included at least one Brown Creeper, a number of Golden-crowned
Kinglets, and many Chickadees and Titmouses. Also had one Fox Sparrow with
White-throateds in the Cedar field. Otherwise unremarkable birdwise. On the
yearly variation front, last year we hosted numerous American Goldfinches
all winter and throughout the summer. The bill for nyger seed was notable!
However, since early fall, we have had no Goldfinches at all either at the
feeder or as heard flyovers. One year is not just like another.

Dave Provencher