[CT Birds] Long Island Sound Gannets, Loons, Gulls 12/1

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 1 17:03:34 EST 2017

12/1   I conducted a bird survey today on Long Island Sound by boat in CT waters between West Haven and Bridgeport. There continue to be some gatherings of large flocks of gulls, Gannets, and loons 1-3 miles offshore from Milford and Stratford. I presume there is still large schools of fish prey that are attracting these feeding frenzies. There were very few birds in mid-Sound (water depths of 70-100 feet).

Highlights today included: 25 NORTHERN GANNETS, 76 RED-THROATED LOONS, 8 COMMON LOONS, and 7 (late) LAUGHING GULLS. There were also fairly low numbers of expected duck species, and no alcids were seen.

New York waters were also surveyed off Smithtown and Brookhaven. Less species diversity, and lower numbers were recorded there.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford, CT

Sent from my iPad