[CT Birds] 12/4 Long Island Sound survey

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 5 17:17:34 EST 2017

12/4. I conducted a bird survey from a research boat on Long Island Sound. We departed Milford 7:05 am, headed south to the NY line, then cruised east, mid-Sound in NY waters all the way to The Race Lighthouse. We then returned West to dock in Old Lyme. There wasn’t many birds mid-Sound, except for a handful of Gannets, RT Loons, and gulls. Most of the rarer birds were in NY.

Highlights:

Connecticut waters (2.5 hours): large flocks (120+) White-winged Scoters 0.5-3.0 miles off Milford; 3 Common and 20 Red-throated Loons; 13 Northern Gannets; SNOWY OWL along east bank of Connecticut River in Old Lyme.

New York waters (6.5 hours): One Common and 26 Red-throated Loons; 2 Common Eiders (The Race); 52 Northern Gannets, 7 RAZORBILLS (1 N of Orient, 4 at The Race, 2 west of the race); 1 JAEGER species (aerially attacking and harassing 4 large gulls N of Orient).

Frank Mantlik
Stratford, CT

Sent from my iPad