[CT Birds] Essex and Old Saybrook

Jamie Meyers sunnyctredbird at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 11:44:18 EST 2017

The 3 female Boat-tailed Grackles continue off CT 154 in Old Saybrook.  They were invisible in the marsh when I arrived but flew out and landed in a tree next to the road pretty much across from the town beach after a short while.

I spent some time birding various places in Essex.  Viney Hill Brook Park was fairly quiet but had a Fox
sparrow and hermit thrush.  There were 2 Northern Shovelers loosely associated with Mallards in the cove near the first place you can pull over at Riverside Cemetery.  I encountered 4 different sapsuckers in various places.  I finally found a Tree Sparrow  in that town. That one had proven to be surprisingly elusive for me, considering how much good looking habitat there is down there.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT

Sent from my iPhone