[CT Birds] Fisher Meadow geese

Jamie Meyers sunnyctredbird at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 14:28:53 EST 2017

As of 2 pm, the Barnacle Goose continues at Fisher Meadow Park in Avon.  The long staying Brant was in its usual spot, feeding on the soccer field near the parking area. A report I saw recently suggested that the bird is either sick or injured, but it outwardly shows no sign of either of those things. The upcoming foul weather may be a challenge for it if in fact it is sick or injured.

I did not see any Cackling Geese.  Pursuant to Greg’s recent post about that species, I did see a couple of interesting individuals that did not pass the cackling test for me. I’ve seen a couple obviously smaller geese, some of which I have photographed, which seem to have larger than expected bills for cacklers.  I saw one individual out there today with a very frosty back, but it did not otherwise show any other cackling characteristics. I’ve seen photos of birds from that location which appear to be spot on, so they are there from time to time. I just haven’t run across one year passes the test.

Jamie Meyers

Sent from my iPhone, which would explain any dubious grammar that may be in this post