[CT Birds] Fisher Meadows, Sunday 12/10 -- late Ruby-crowned Kinglet

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Sun Dec 10 17:09:02 EST 2017

No sign of the Barnacle Goose between 1:30 and 3:15 this afternoon.

We were surprised to find the Ruby-crowned Kinglet.  I've never seen one in New England in the fall after October.  What is the usual latest date for them?

John Weeks
Chris Chinni

Fisher Meadows Recreation Area, Hartford, Connecticut, US
Dec 10, 2017 1:30 AM - 3:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Chris Chinni and John Weeks.  We whiffed on the Barnacle Goose, but the late Ruby-crowned Kinglet was a pleasant surprise.
26 species

Canada Goose  300
Mallard  20
American Black Duck  3
Hooded Merganser  4
Common Merganser  2
Ruddy Duck  5
Bald Eagle  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Herring Gull  1
Mourning Dove  6
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  5
American Crow  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1     By far the latest date for this species here (for us, anyway).
American Robin  5
American Pipit  2
Cedar Waxwing  30
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1