[CT Birds] Hartford peregrines

Walsh, Michael mwalsh at hartford.edu
Sat Dec 16 18:37:41 EST 2017

Sitting in my 9th-floor living room this afternoon (Saturday) when wham, a really loud bird strike on the window. I looked outside and saw a dazed-looking pigeon stumbling around in the snow on the balcony. A couple of seconds later a peregrine falcon landed on the rail of the balcony, only about four feet from me. The suddenly re-energized pigeon took off to the west chased by the peregrine. I stuck my head out the window and realized that there was in fact a pair of peregrines on the hunt. All birds quickly disappeared down Woodland Street to the south.

If i've been following correctly, today is the Christmas bird count, so I though this worth mentioning just in case these birds had not been spotted otherwise.

Michael Walsh
Hartford