[CT Birds] OT: Scope recommendations

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Tue Dec 12 20:54:52 EST 2017

James,

I have serious doubts about those brands of scopes simply because of the price.  I fear you are just asking for frustration.

I seriously suggest looking for a used scope.  Birders sometimes upgrade, and there are others besides birders who use scopes.  No, I don't know where to look.  An old Kowa, Nikon or Bausch & Lomb might be your best bet, but there are other brands too.  (A good 20X eyepiece is better than a bad zoom.)

Don't neglect the need for a decent tripod and head.  Cheap scopes often come with table-top tripods which won't help much in the field.  The Manfrotto 128RC (formerly Bogen 3130) is the standard head for birders.  It doesn't get in the way when you are trying to get on a bird.  It is not cheap, and neither is a decent tripod, so you may have to put it on your some-day list.

I haven't read much there in many years, but when I was reading up on optics BirdForum looked like the most active and knowledgeable place to discuss such things.  A quick glance seems to confirm that this is still true.  Don't let the fact that it is based in the United Kingdom put you off, the participants are from all over (and the Brits take their birding very seriously indeed!)

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=286
I am not familiar with their reviews.
http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/

Good birding!