[CT Birds] Neck banded Geese-Derby Greenway

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 12:13:57 EST 2017

In 2002, DEP staff and volunteers captured 1,236 geese at 28 different
sites throughout the state. A total of 500 yellow neck collars were placed
on geese, with approximately 60 neck collars placed on geese in each of
Connecticut’s eight counties. Geese were caught during their annual
flightless period. Canada geese, like all waterfowl, undergo an annual wing
feather molt, when they shed all their flight feathers. During the period
of regrowth, which lasts approximately four weeks, the birds lose the
ability to fly. Geese were corralled into a portable net where data on age
and sex were recorded and the collars and legbands were attached.

*How You Can Help*
The Wildlife Division is requesting that anyone who observes geese with
yellow neck collars to report sightings to the Waterfowl Program at
860-642-7239 or min.huang at po.state.ct.us. Desired information includes the
individual collar codes, number of collared birds present, number of
uncollared birds present and the location and date

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut