[CT Birds] Thrushwood Nature Notes, Washington, CT - 1937 to 1951

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 22 14:56:44 EST 2017

I stopped at the Gunn Historical Museum in Washington, CT this morning to report on my research for the museum. I mentioned to the museum's curator my efforts with the Woodbury-Roxbury Christmas Bird Count last Saturday and some history about the CBC. The curator told me he had a scrapbook of newspaper clippings from a nature newspaper column entitled "Thrushwood Nature Notes" by a Wilhelmine Knowles who lived in Washington, CT. This column was published in the Waterbury (CT) Republican newspaper and the New Milford (CT) Times newspaper. The clippings are from 1937 to 1951. My quick review of these clippings revealed that Ms. Knowles was an obvious avid bird watcher in Washington, CT discussing things like an over wintering Gray Catbird and a Ruffed Grouse crashing into a window. A photo of Ms Knowles in one of the newspaper clipping reveals an arch-typical little old lady bird watcher of the days of yore. I look forward to reading these newspaper clippings in the future.

David W BabingtonWashington, CT