[CT Birds] Big Hartford January of Birding
sffaulkner at comcast.net
Sat Dec 30 21:49:19 EST 2017
Hartford Audubon Society
announces its Second Annual
HARTFORD BIG JANUARY OF BIRDING!!
January starts a new year, and, for birdwatchers, a new year for “birding”!
In the spirit of expanding public interest in birdwatching and ecology, the Hartford Audubon Society is sponsoring a challenge to all age groups: To see as many wild birds in Hartford County during the month of January as you can! To enter the contest, all you need to do is record your observations on the Cornell birding website and submit them to Hartford Audubon.
Time Frame: From January 1 through January 31, 2018
Requirements: Open to anyone. There is no charge to participate and you do not need to be a member of Hartford Audubon.
Age Groups for Prizes:
* Youth: ages 4 – 10; need to see and record at least 25 species of birds in Hartford County
* Teens: Ages 11 – 17; need to see and record at least 35 species of birds in Hartford County
* Adults: Ages 18 - ?; need to see and record at least 65 species of birds in Hartford County
* You can be from anywhere and do not need to be a member of Hartford Audubon.
* Birds must be seen in Hartford County, only during January, 2017.
* Sightings must be recorded online on org, which is a free, international birding site sponsored by Audubon and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology*. If you are new to ebird.org, create a profile and begin submitting observations. The site will maintain your list for you. If you are teacher, you can create a profile for your class, and must include a photograph with each ebird species entry.
* At the end of January, if you’ve achieved the minimum number of birds needed for your group, do two things: 1) go to the org http://www.hartfordaudubon.org and print out your monthly sightings lists, then 2) email it to Hartford Audubon at sffaulkner at comcast.net mailto:sffaulkner at comcast.net . Deadline for submission: Friday, February 9th.
Awards: Every participant who reaches the minimum required species for their group will be sent a Certificate of Hartford Big January of Birding, once your sightings in ebird.org have been checked and verified by the Board of Hartford Audubon. And the “biggest” winners in each category will be given a special prize for their high counts of birds in Connecticut in January.
*The ebird.org site is maintained for free public use, research, and educational purposes by Cornell University. Personal information is never made public nor shared unless specifically authorized by the individual. It’s a wonderful site for bird information; maintaining personal birding lists; learning about great “hot spots” for birding in Connecticut, the country, and around the world; and contributing to research and conservation information about birds.
More information about the CTBirds