[CT Birds] First bird 2018

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Mon Jan 1 16:01:56 EST 2018

Junco was mine -- they seem to be everywhere this year.  Our fourth bird of the year was a good one -- a Hermit Thrush eating sour cherries just outside the kitchen window here.  It's been around for more than two weeks.

Chris and I ran around to various local hotspots to get started on Hartford Audubon Society's Big January Challenge (65 species in Hartford County).  It was great fun last year, and we enjoyed the day, despite the sub-Arctic weather. Highlights were:  the Hermit Thrush (our house); Common Raven (Loomis St, Granby); Bald Eagle, Field Sparrow and Golden-crowned Kinglet (Suffield Wildlife Management Area), Golden-crowned Kinglet and Northern Mockingbird (Simsbury Meadows, along the marsh boardwalk behind the dog park).

John Weeks
Chris Chinni
North Granby, CT