[CT Birds] 1/3/18 - Horned Grebe at Lake Saltonstall, Branford

Gina - Sunrise gina at sunrisebirding.com
Wed Jan 3 17:54:33 EST 2018

Steve and I really tried to make this bird into an Eared Grebe but
photos reveal it to be a Horned Grebe.  There haven't been many Horned
Grebes around this winter (that I've seen) and I think it is unusual for
Lake Saltonstall.  eBird list below.
Gina Nichol & Steve Bird
Branford, CT

Lake Saltonstall, New Haven, Connecticut, US
Jan 3, 2018 4:00 PM - 4:25 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     With Steve Bird watching the north end of Lake Saltonstall
from the nature trail.  A Regional Water Authority Permit is required to
enter this property.  See https://www.rwater.com/recreation

9 species

Canada Goose  15
Mute Swan  3
Gadwall  1
American Black Duck  2
Ring-necked Duck  20
Bufflehead  4
Hooded Merganser  50
Common Merganser  8
Horned Grebe  1     Lone winter plumage bird feeding and preening with
the other ducks.

View this checklist online at

Gina Beebe Nichol
Sunrise Birding LLC
Worldwide Bird Watching Tours & Wildlife Safaris
PO Box 274, Cos Cob, CT 06807 gina at sunrisebirding.com
www.sunrisebirding.com
USA 203.453.6724