[CT Birds] Sapsucker follow-up

Florence McBride fmcb_warbler at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 5 14:26:16 EST 2018

Hamden, 1/2:  A brief glimpse of an avian event near our suet feeder revealed some unpleasant news: The bird that an accipiter (a female Sharp-shinned Hawk, I think) was plucking there was very probably the sapsucker that we’d been admiring since it appeared here on December 31 and several times thereafter.  Despite the brevity of the observation, window glass, low light, and lack of optics, I’m almost certain that I saw the longitudinal wing stripe on the victim, which looked to be sapsucker size; and an examination of the site yielded a lot of black-and-white flight feathers as well as some short pale yellow-tan contour feathers that looked appropriate for the the bird we’d been seeing.  We’ve had no further sapsucker sightings since 1/2.