[CT Birds] Stratford Highlights

SARAH FAULKNER sffaulkner at comcast.net
Fri Jan 5 21:05:40 EST 2018

Wow, oh wow was it cold in Stratford today!  At times it was hard to drive because the blowing snow obscured the roads, and I worried about scouring my car's finish in the blowing sand at Long Beach.  But it's January and time to count birds!

Stratford highlights included five Northern Shovelers in the waterfall by the Birdseye boat ramp and a merlin near Animal Control;Long Beah had long-tailed ducks in the heavy waves along Beach Drive and seen flying in flocks, plus a small flock of Sanderlings; Stratford Point gave me a trifecta with snow buntings, one horned lark (just one!), and two Lapland longspur, plus some American tree sparrows; one lone common merganser in Frash pond with some hooded mergansers, but no snowy owls anywhere I could find, and I was looking!

And I was surprised, but Short Beach was closed.  Not plowed, apparently.

Sarah Faulkner, Collinsville