[CT Birds] planned timber harvest, Pumpkin Hill WMA, Chaplin

Ann Lewis annmlewis59 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 11:48:40 EST 2018

I was informed that the listserve doesn't support attachments.  So if
anyone would like to see a copy of the timber harvest plan, feel free to
email me directly and I will email you a copy.

The questions I emailed to Ed McGuire, the DEEP forester, were these:

"
*The plan takes the cerulean warblers into consideration by not beginning
the harvest between May 1st and June 30th.  But in the case where the
harvest begins prior to May 1st, it seems possible that harvest operations
could still be going on in May, June, and July when the cerulean warblers
are present.  If that happens, then it seems possible that, in addition to
general noise disturbance, trees could be cut which contain active cerulean
warbler nests.   *

*If the purpose of the harvest is to remove hazardous trees near the road,
why does such an extensive area need to be involved in the harvest?  In
general it is dismaying that a seemingly ecologically significantly area
like Pumpkin Hill needs to be part of an extensive harvesting operation
that will change the character of the habitat for species or special
concern like the cerulean warblers and for recreational users.  *

*And although your plan states that the CT Natural Diversity Database was
reviewed and showed that no state and federal listed species and
significant natural communities are affected by the harvest, when I look at
the CT Natural Diversity Database map that is available to the public
online, I see that there are some listed species and/or communities nearby
(the online map does not give specifics).  It would be interesting to know
what these are and if suitable habitat for them exists in the harvest
areas.*
*It's great that the thinning harvest you have planned for the Breakneck
area will be designed to enhance cerulean warbler habitat!  I don't see (in
ebird) that there have been many sightings of cerulean warblers up that
way.  Do we know enough about the behavior and habitat requirements of the
cerulean warblers to know that they would be likely to colonize the habitat
that you are creating?"*

Ann Lewis
Chaplin, CT
cell phone: 860 455 8731 <(860)%20455-8731>
email: annmlewis59 at gmail.com