[CT Birds] Carolina wrens

Katherine Kuckens katkuckens at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 10:32:09 EST 2018

We always have a pair of Carolina wrens in the spring and summer, but
usually they are gone by late fall.  Sometimes they stick around with sad
consequences.  Twice in the last five years or so, "my" Carolina wrens were
found dead after severe blizzards.  I try to counteract by having a large
heated birdbath, plenty of suet and seed, etc.  The most important thing is
shelter.  This year I cleaned my bird houses in late fall and hung them
back up.  One pair of Carolinas had nested in a hanging planter under our
gazebo, where they loudly scolded us whenever we sat there.  The gazebo is
taken down every fall, but I kept the hanging planter, added more grass,
sticks, and leaves, and hung it close to the house near the eaves.

"My" wrens were still here until this terrible cold spell.  Hadn't heard
them for days and assumed the worst.  Then we did hear one this morning!

Katherine Kuckens