[CT Birds] Feeding birds from feeders

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 7 17:02:54 EST 2018

I wrote an article years ago about feeding wild birds in the summer and if it was a help for them. I will use the Chipping Sparrow as an example. They nest here yearly in my yard and area and here is my thinking on feeding all summer. I noticed the adults feeding all summer at the feeders, and when the young were fledged, They always brought the young to the feeders. My question is - If the young Chippers get use to feeding here on commercial bird seed daily, usually off the ground, then it seems they have not learned how to feed in the wild on seeds they need to know. Could this be ? They need to learn from the parents how to recognize the wild plants so they can survive without the aid of bird feeders. Do you agree with this? Would like to hear your thoughts on this.
Paul Carrier - Harwinton