[CT Birds] Hawks near feeder

Paul Plotnick pdplot2 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 11:30:33 EST 2018

A pair of Red-Tails have been perched in a tree about 75 feet from my
feeder, keeping a hawk-eye on it and occasionally flying to another tree as
if patrolling the area. The smaller feeder birds have been ignoring the
hawks but only the larger Red-Bellied WPs have been feeding - our Cardinal
pair and our Blue Jays have been absent, at least so far. I'm sure the
hawks are looking for squirrels but this winter, we have not had one
squirrel - good news for us, bad news for the hawks. Also had one Pileated
in a tree but he took off fast.