[CT Birds] planned timber harvest, Pumpkin Hill WMA, Chaplin

Ann Lewis annmlewis59 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 11:18:13 EST 2018

Hello CT birders,

Many of you have visited the Pumpkin Hill Wildlife Management Area in
Chaplin to see the cerulean warblers which nest there. The DEEP is
currently planning a timber harvesting operation in this area in order to
salvage some dead and dying oaks with gypsy moth damage.  The harvest area
covers 61 acres.  Although some cutting is necessary to remove hazardous
trees along the road, it seems the harvest might be more extensive than
necessary and will have a significant impact on the area where the cerulean
warblers have been nesting.  I am forwarding an email I sent to the DEEP
forester in charge, Ed McGuire, about this and he responded with the
attached timber harvest plan.  My email contains I have some questions
about protecting the cerulean habitat there. I am wondering if anyone on
this list knows more about how this will impact the birds.

There is a town meeting planned on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 4:00pm at
the Chaplin Town Hall, 495 Phoenixville Rd, Chaplin where DEEP will be
doing an informational session  on this harvest.  Public notice of that
meeting from Chaplin website is also attached.  If CT birders would like to
find out more about the impact of this timber harvest on the cerulean
warbler habitat, I would suggest attending to show that we are interested
and concerned about this situation on our public lands.

Ann Lewis
Chaplin, CT
cell phone: 860 455 8731
email: annmlewis59 at gmail.com