[CT Birds] Carolina Wrens Branford yard

Lemmon lemmon at snet.net
Sun Jan 7 21:09:31 EST 2018

We have been having  Carolina wrens come to our feeders since the blizzard.  They feed mainly on bark butter, made with peanut butter, lard and baby chick feed (Purina Start and Grow) and cornmeal.  Lots of recipes on line or contact us.  It is easier to make if you melt the lard and peanut butter first and add the solid materials to it.   I spread it on the roof of the covered feeders, on the inside, and on the bark of our trees with a putty knife.  I see them in all of these places feeding. They were there in the height of the blizzard feeding.  The sapsucker at the Branford Supply pond is feeding on this bark butter and suet pounded into the cracks of the red cedar as well downy, 1 hairy and several red-bellied woodpeckers.

Carol and Gary Lemmon