[CT Birds] sounds of spring

Tamesin Eustis dawnchorus9 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 20:03:49 EST 2018

In past years, I've promised myself that I'd start noting when I hear
the first "spring sounds" coming from our local birds. They graciously
reminded me of that promise over the past couple of days:
1/8: woodpeckers started drumming (really drumming, not "tap-tap,
maybe there's something in here, tap-tap)
1/9: white-breasted nuthatch made its "ahnk ahnk" call, and while I
was out feeding the birds, a brave chickadee landed on the feeder next
to me and - at first - did one half of its territorial whistle:
"Fee... Fee..." I said "You can do it!" and it finished "Fee Bee!"
before it took a seed and flew off.
Will listen for others.
:-)  Tammy Eustis, Chester