[CT Birds] Orange backyard and Mondo Pond

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 10:19:33 EST 2018

1/14
An American Tree sparrow made a first of year appearance by my feeders.
The Fox sparrows and Northern Flicker continue. I had a record 14 Blue Jays
coming for the peanuts-a sea of blue...they swoop in grab the peanuts and
hunker down in the tree.  The House finch flock grew to 10, along with the
regulars-white throated , song, House sparrows.  Red bellied, Downy, Hair
woodpeckers, 2 American Goldfinches, Chickadees, dark eyed juncos, 1
Carolina wren, 1 Grackle, 1 Coopers Hawk, Mourning doves, cardinals.
Did a brief, very cold walk around Mondo Pond (main pond) this morning.
Mostly frozen over except small area between school parking area and wooded
parking lot which was open and sunny.
About 102 Mallards, 3 Hooded Mergansers (2 drake, 1 hen), possible Gadwall,
but not a great look,
Blue Jays, Downy and Cardinal.
Bev Propen, Orange