[CT Birds] summer and winter feeding

zellene zellene at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 8 09:22:14 EST 2018

In response to Paul's question, I note that even now, my sparrows and juncos are feeding from weedy areas of my yard and garden. I leave my garden plants standing in the winter as a source of seeds. I don't think that feeding in summer would override the instinct to feed from natural sources. I do have plenty of White-throated sparrows and some house finches, plus the Carolina wren that has been here all winter. As an aside, I had a mother bear last summer teaching her two cubs how to open a suet feeder.

Found no goldfinches at Auerfarm yesterday, only a few MODOs and starlings.

Bloomfield CT