[CT Birds] South Windsor, Station 43 - Kingfisher, leucistic Rusty Blackbird

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Sun Jan 14 17:08:33 EST 2018

The Connecticut River put on an extraordinary show today:  torrents of broken ice rushed down the river like bleached lava.  Consequently, ducks other than Mallards were impossible (for us anyway) to find on the river.

We went to Station 43 where a rattling male Kingfisher salved our disappointment away, and three Rusty Blackbirds rendered us positively euphoric.  One of them was partially leucistic, with either two or three snow-white primary feathers on each wing.

My tally for the Hartford Audubon Society's Big January now stands at 60; Chris's is 58 (but she still has to work full-time!).

Chris Chinni
John Weeks
North Granby