[CT Birds] The passing of John McNeely, a pioneer in CT conservation.

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 18 23:40:16 EST 2018

I had the pleasure to meet John through another CT elder, David Rosgen.  We'd done a couple extremely successful Big Days and they included a brief respite from the fast-paced race, in the form of a morning picnic table vigil next to Veedor's big cage.  John would tell us stories about possible Ivory Bills in Cuba, or Veedor's antics, such as his intense hatred of vacuum cleaners, or the time Veedor removed a good chunk of John's nose during an elementary school children's presentation.  We were there, visiting, to tick a great CT rarity at the time, a calling Raven on the mountain in the back of John's house.

As a snotty-nosed new birder, I did at least realize that John was an experienced conservationist and an amazing, skillful  and generous naturalist.  I'd wished I'd spent hours, not minutes, with him.

Steve MayoBethany