[CT Birds] John McNeely tribute

Susanne Shrader birdgirrl at comcast.net
Fri Jan 19 12:52:05 EST 2018

That was an amazing tribute you wrote, Zellene.  I'd like to talk more with you about it.
I met John about 25 years ago, it's hard to remember what came first, whether I met him because of the condor presentations, or because we heard about him from Noel Snyder who was the project director for the California Condor recovery. John told me he was on that very last capture of all the wild Condors. He was already in pain then at that time. He brought  his Andean Condor, Veedor several times to groups I was in, and it was getting hard for him to manage the bird because he would have him jump up onto his hands bent over his shoulders.  Strange sight.  I was fortunate  to visit his cabin a couple of times to his cabin. It was a one room cabin with bunk loft. It was  strewn with papers. Amazing he could actually live there. I remember what a gorgeous  clearing in the woods he lived in, and there were warblers galore.   A great man.

Susanne Shrader
birdgirrl at comcast.net