[CT Birds] Station 43 South Windsor - Rusty Blackbirds, Kingfisher and Virginia Rail

Annette Pasek apasek at cox.net
Mon Jan 15 19:39:58 EST 2018

Thank you John Weeks and Chris Chinni for posting Rusty and Belted yesterday.

eBird entry on Virginia Rail - hoping to add one photo from phone and or camera where body can be made out.  Saw this bird on my way out of preserve at approximately 4.

Dodging and eating and wading in 1 foot wide stream a couple of inches deep. 10” beak to tail end, small head dark above, thin long beak slightly downward curve dark as well. Beautiful rich (but not dark) orange on throat and breast. Stubby tail. Back bark with rusts and browns and darks. Very skinny legs. Coloring became darker as afternoon wore on. Did not mind me near by. In thicket while I spoke with Bill Asteraitis.  Came back out after all was quiet. Watched him or her for 15-20 minutes.

Annette Pasek
apasek at cox.net <mailto:apasek at cox.net>
Naturalist Certification
Native landscaping can reduce your carbon footprint!