[CT Birds] Carolina wren support in Litchfield

William Moorhead whmoorhead at optonline.net
Tue Jan 16 11:14:42 EST 2018

Just following up on the Carolina Wren subject, FYI, a pair of Carolina
Wrens first appeared at our house in northeast Litchfield ~1999±, during
a bout of near 0 deg F temps in early December.  We tried a few things
and ended up putting out straight all-natural chunky peanut putter in a
suet log with holes.  What we think was that pair made it thru the
winter and nested on top of the back porch the following spring.  We
have continued with the peanut butter for the last 19+ years, and have
always had a pair of Carolinas every winter.  In recent years we added
meal worms, which the Carolinas seem to especially love.  We made a kind
of a cave feeder out of stacked bricks, to slow down the rate of
consumption by other birds, especially blue jays -- the wrens are
perfectly happy to go into a dark tunnel to get the worms (as are
chickadees and titmice).  Our this winter's pair of wrens seem to have
made it thru this most recent cold spell.

Bill Moorhead
Consulting Botanist/Plant Community Ecologist
486 Torrington Road
Litchfield, CT 06759
Phone & FAX: 860-567-4920
Cell phone: 860-543-1786