[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Milford trip results 1/20

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 20 16:29:54 EST 2018

1/20. NHBC “Milford Hotspots” field trip. Twenty one enthusiastic and appreciative birders visited numerous sites in Milford this morning, and tallied 42 species. Weather was a little warmer (34-42F) than it has been lately, with a steady, chilly west wind.

Highlights were:
- Adult ROSS’S GOOSE - seen in flight with Canadas over the Housatonic River as viewed from Caswell Cove public access. (I suspect this rarity spends nights on the river among the flocks of Canada Geese). The flock flew NW toward inland Stratford, perhaps heading for a golf course or a ball field.
- ICELAND GULL - first-winter immature perched atop Milford Transfer Station on Oronoque Rd. Also seen in flight.
- GREAT BLUE HERON - walking on the ice at Mondo Ponds; trying to catch fish, just like the two ice-fishermen.
- Two PEREGRINE FALCONS- the first was a big adult female that flew right overhead at Silver Sands. The second was seen by some over the Milford Point marsh.
- RED-SHOULDERED HAWK - a beautiful adult perched in trees at Silver Sands S.P.
- SNOWY OWL - After learning of one being at Stratford Point, minutes later we walked out to the beach at Milford Point and found our own! It was roosting on the sheets of ice. It was the first owl ever seen by some of the participants.

Frank Mantlik

Sent from my iPad