[CT Birds] Greater White-Fronted Geese in Griswold

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 15:00:36 EST 2018

Hi all,

Yesterday afternoon Allison Black and I had three adult GREATER
WHITE-FRONTED GEESE on Ashland Pond as viewed from Norman Road in Griswold.
They were tucked into a flock of about 850 Canada Geese on the west side of
the road. If this flock consistently roosts here, it is worth keeping an
eye on for other goodies.

This was part of a test run for a possible future Norwich CBC circle that
Allison is putting together (there is room for an entire circle). She had
only four parties birding, and we managed an impressive 70 species. Most
inland CT CBCs seem to average somewhere in the 75-90 species range (varies
greatly, due to things like weather, effort, and location). So, with proper
effort this should turn out to be a very worthwhile count.

In our section we also had Northern Pintail, American Pipit, Pine Warbler,
Yellow-rumped Warbler, and Swamp Sparrow as highlights, in addition to the
geese.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com