[CT Birds] Stratford. Ibis...yes Ibis

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Wed Jan 24 20:54:23 EST 2018

Hi All,

I've really debated about sending this email because of the possible naysayers that will respond.  I sought advice and was told "just explain what you saw".  But yes, coming home from work on the Burma Road in Stratford aka Rt. 113 before the airport, at about 5:05 pm I saw 4 Ibis flying over the road heading toward the direction of the Birdseye Boat Ramp/Greenway area of the Housatonic River.  There is no doubt in my mind - long, curved down bills were quite obvious, legs just past tip of tale and sort of droopy.  I've seen plenty of both to know the difference.  They weren't terribly high up.   I almost crashed by car trying to keep sight of them and fumble for my camera.  Unfortunately no photos.  I turned around and went to the boat ramp, greenway, behind the animal control facility on Beacon Point Road, Bonds Dock and Shore Road trying in vain to find them.  Perhaps they flew to Milford Coastal Center, Silver Sands, Charles Island?  I don't know.  I would hope someone out birding tomorrow can find them and validate my sighting.

Thank you.

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT