[CT Birds] Red-shouldered copulation

Jim Dugan jim at duganworks.com
Sat Feb 24 14:23:38 EST 2018

2/24/18 - New Milford - 1:00 PM we observed our local pair of Red-shouldered Hawks mate roughly 2 minutes after the female finished devouring a chipmunk while standing on the nest. Copulation took place in deciduous tree 80’ west of nest location at approximately same elevation. Last years nest (believed used at least 2 previous years) was about 1000' south of this years location and both within 500’ from Candlewood Lake shoreline, nest in branching of main tree trunk. The pair has been extremely vocal the past 2 weeks. Nest approximately 45’ in elevation. Prior to copulation, while female ripping chipmunk apart, the male made several large circles in flight around and above the nest site giving several vocalizations. Birds went silent after copulating but also coincided with the start of consistent rain. This pair has been in our neighborhood for the past 5 years.

2/19/18 - New Milford / Kent - now fully open Housatonic River above Bulls Bridge dam - 48 Common Merganser, 3 Hooded Mergs and 3 Wood Duck joined yesterday with numerous Canada Geese on water since river became ice free.

Jim Dugan & Jackie Eaton
New Milford