[CT Birds] 2/24 central-eastern coast; Tundra Swan fallout

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 21:35:21 EST 2018

Hi all,

Today I checked the coast at a few places from Madison to Waterford.
Highlights were SNOW GOOSE with Canadas at Old Saybrook High School and
then in adjacent Maynards Pond, and RED-NECKED GREBE and 3 PURPLE
SANDPIPERS around Tuxis Island in Madison.

Overall it was very quiet offshore, except for average/above-average
numbers of Common Loon, Horned Grebe, and Surf Scoter. Gulls were
especially scarce.

Sounds like quite the awesome Tundra Swan event near the CT/NY border
today. That is a tough bird in CT, never mind dozens of them. For anyone
looking for that species, tonight's rain should keep them grounded wherever
they ended up, so it would be worth checking any body of water in the
morning. Presumably the further west, the better.

Also, there continue to be above-average numbers of alcids being seen from
Massachusetts and Maine. There is an alcid event ongoing along the east
coast. We should be on high alert for the possibility of more in CT.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com