[CT Birds] Rex Brasher also White Memorial

zellene zellene at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 1 15:08:27 EST 2018

Rex was born in 1869 and died in 1960, so was not a contemporary of Audubon...mea culpa. I was remembering a story about how Brasher's father, an amateur ornithologist, wanted to meet the great Audubon and finally scheduled an appointment with him. He travelled a distance to get there, but when he arrived Audubon refused to see him because he was busy. Crushed with disappointment, his father peeked in and saw Audubon painting a dead bird hanging from a string.  He told this story to Rex, who never forgot it and vowed to paint birds from nature.

I was hiking at White today and was very sad to see the number of rather freshly cut trees around Little Pond to make way for the powerline. This was prime warbler habitat and I hope this does not have an adverse effect.

Zellene