[CT Birds] Rex Brasher

Carrie Szwed carrieszwed at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 22:21:05 EST 2018

Correct, Rex Brasher was not a contemporary of Audubon, but his father was. In fact, Rex’s father getting snubbed by Audubon contributed to Rex’s life mission of painting more birds than Audubon, and doing it by observing live birds in their natural habitat.

The Rex Brasher exhibit will be on display at White Memorial until the end of May. The pieces are in our classroom, which is only open during programs, but if you tell Lois or Lynda at the front desk in the Museum that you’d like to see the artwork, they’ll take you down there.

If you’re interested in learning more about this fascinating man, who both NY and CT can claim as their own ; ), I would recommend reading his biography, “Rex Brasher: A Painter or Birds,” written by his nephew, Milton Brasher. I believe you can get copies on Amazon.

It’s almost as though this amazing artist, who did nothing short of a miracle by painting some 850 North American bird originals, and then hand-colored another 90,000 prints, got lost in history somehow. We’d love for people to rediscover him.

Here’s a link to our newsletter, with the cover story about Rex by Janet Reagon, president of the Rex Brasher Association: https://www.whitememorialcc.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Winter-Newsletter-2018-pdf-1.pdf

Thank you for posting about him and attending the program!

Carrie Szwed
Education Director
White Memorial Conservation Center
Litchfield, CT 06759