[CT Birds] Unusual Hairy Woodpeckers

Davidp979 at comcast.net Davidp979 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 5 10:14:36 EDT 2018

Angela many juvenile Hairys are red on the front of the crown (or forehead), so just an early fledging. I do love Hairy Woodpeckers! As for the darker female, could be diet related or tannin staining. I've seen several Hairy's with "off" white coloration over the years, including one black and butterscotch colored female at White Memorial 20 or more years ago. She was beautiful in her unusual garb.

Dave

Dave Provencher
Preston

Sent from XFINITY Connect Application