[CT Birds] Hartland -- atlasing (poaching?) today

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Wed Jun 6 15:17:51 EDT 2018

Not "my" block, but one of my favorite birding sites, as well as the site of a point-count I conduct in connection with a  long-term hemlock study.

My eBird list is below.

John
John Weeks

Hartland, Hurricane Brook Rd, Hartford, Connecticut, US
Jun 6, 2018 8:30 AM - 12:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.6 mile(s)
Comments:     Partly to mostly cloudy; temperature 58-61 F.
42 species

Great Blue Heron  1     At Emmons Pond.  No heron nests present.
Turkey Vulture  1     Harassed by a Crow.
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2     S Singing Male
Hairy Woodpecker  2     A Agitated Behavior.  The second, agitated bird was a male.
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  4     S Singing Male (all four birds)
Eastern Phoebe  1     H in Appropriate Habitat (near large barn on state-owned property)
Eastern Kingbird  1     H in Appropriate Habitat.  At Emmons Pond.
Blue-headed Vireo  3     S Singing Male (all three)
Red-eyed Vireo  21     M Multiple (7+) Singing Males (all 21)
Blue Jay  3     H in Appropriate Habitat
American Crow  1     Chased the vulture.
Tree Swallow  1     H in Appropriate Habitat (feeding over Emmons Pond)
Barn Swallow  1     H in Appropriate Habitat (near state-owned barn)
Black-capped Chickadee  3     H in Appropriate Habitat
Tufted Titmouse  2     H in Appropriate Habitat
Veery  6     S Singing Male (all six)
Hermit Thrush  1     S Singing Male
Wood Thrush  2     S Singing Male
American Robin  2     S Singing Male (one of the two)
Gray Catbird  1     S Singing Male
Ovenbird  20     A Agitated Behavior (One pair was clearly upset by my presence)
Louisiana Waterthrush  1     S Singing Male
Black-and-white Warbler  6     S Singing Male (all six)
Common Yellowthroat  1     S Singing Male
American Redstart  4     S Singing Male (all four)
Magnolia Warbler  1     S Singing Male
Blackburnian Warbler  6     A Agitated Behavior (on part of one male); all six were singing.
Chestnut-sided Warbler  3     S Singing Male (all three)
Black-throated Blue Warbler  5     S Singing Male (all five)
Pine Warbler  2     S Singing Male (both birds)
Black-throated Green Warbler  5     S Singing Male (all five)
Chipping Sparrow  1     Foraging on ground near cleared area close to buildings.
Dark-eyed Junco  2     A Agitated Behavior (one bird; both birds were singing males)
Song Sparrow  1     S Singing Male
Scarlet Tanager  3     S Singing Male (all three)
Northern Cardinal  1     S Singing Male
Baltimore Oriole  1     H in Appropriate Habitat (calling)
Purple Finch  2     S Singing Male.  Second bird may have been a female, also singing.  (Both heard, but not seen, in treetops.)
American Goldfinch  4     H in Appropriate Habitat

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46352457