[CT Birds] Hamden: Nesting mockingbirds; 7 nests in heronry

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Sat Jun 9 23:48:18 EDT 2018

Hamden:  good news for our summer bird count & breeding bird atlas.  The Whitneyville Cemetery (Whitney Ave & Treadwell) is dependable for NOMO, and right off I found a bird carrying nesting material.

The Upper Lake Whitney Heronry is thriving & growing.  I counted 7 nests & 18 birds (clearly other adults involved;  12 chicks visible).  It's hard to keep them all separate.  Viewed from E end of bridge down almost to the speed bump.  There has been remarkable growth here this year.

Pictures & video posted on CT Audubon FB page.  I'll send around links when I have them.

	Good night!

> Waite bridge & causeway Lake Whitney, New Haven, Connecticut, US
> Jun 9, 2018 3:45 PM - 4:30 PM
> Protocol: Stationary
> 3 species
>
> Great Blue Heron  18     I counted 7 nests today, 6 clearly with chicks.  Visible from E end of the bridge down towards the speed bump, from left end of pines.  A remarkable development here.
> Osprey  1     Off towards the Mill River mouth, being chased by grackle or something.  The nest seems empty.
> Baltimore Oriole  1     Seen up in trees near heronry.  There is a nest in the elm, but haven't seen direct evidence of bird in nest.
>
> View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46434889

_______

Whitneyville Cemetery, New Haven, Connecticut, US
Jun 9, 2018 3:30 PM
Protocol: Incidental
1 species

Northern Mockingbird  3     Watched from west end.  Heard a singing bird on the other side, towards the Treadwell / Whitney light.

Saw two birds, quiet, around the W end, including one harvesting grass and flying into yew bushes with bittersweet at the W end, twice.

Pictures posted on Connecticut Audubon FB picture site.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46434723 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46434723>

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org <http://ebird.org/>)