[CT Birds] King Rail

Aaron Dollar aarondollar at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 10 09:05:33 EDT 2018

Hi Chris - about this time of year last year there was a "king rail" giving its call in East Haven heard by a number of birders (and recorded as well). Turns out, apparently, that Clapper Rails can also give the King Rail call  - I think Nick Bonomo discovered this first hand after tracking down a "King" in his kayak in the QPac river a few years back, only to visually confirm it as a Clapper. So I think the take-away on brackish-water "king rails" around here is that visual confirmation is needed.

- Aaron Dollar, Killingworth