[CT Birds] Listener beware. A Southington Cerulean turned into a Black-throated Blue

Jack Swatt jswattbirds at snet.net
Sun Jun 10 15:28:26 EDT 2018

 To add to Aaron Dollar's post about the King Rail/Clapper Rail mimicry, this past week I was doing some altasing at the ridge line on top of Compounce Mt in Southington, a place I regularly get Worm-eating Warblers, Prairie Warblers and occasional Hoodeds.  I heard a Cerulean song and was hopeful to add this species to the census.  The song is one that is frequently sung by Black-throated Blue Warblers up north (Cerulean A3 song in The Warbler Guide) so I tracked it down and sure enough, it was a Black-throated Blue singing it.  I'll still take a BTBlue in Southington as this seems outside it's normal range, but it serves as added warning about identification by song alone.  Sometimes you have to see the bird to get a correct ID.
Jack Swatt
Wolcott