[CT Birds] Long Island Ferry - shearwaters 5-8pm

Acadia Kocher acadia.kocher at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 21:56:47 EDT 2018

Severin Uebbing and I took the 5pm ferry from New London to Orient Point after the recent reports. On the leg to LI we had a constant company of shearwaters! Total conservative counts:

15 Cory’s shearwater (5 CT, 10 NY)
18 Great shearwater (12 CT, 6 NY)
7 Sooty shearwater (4 CT, 3 NY)

On the 7pm return ferry:
8 Cory’s shearwater (2 NY, 6 CT)
3 Great shearwater (all NY)

Also had a feeding frenzy of terns and gulls with some of the large shearwaters mixed in just off the western tip of Plum Island where the ferry passes by.

We managed to get photos of all three shearwaters although not all in CT waters. Will get posted on eBird later.

Many thanks to all who made reports today and yesterday, and wishing luck for tomorrow!!

Acadia Kocher
New Haven

eBird checklists:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47448201